Friday, February 4, 2011

Running is Better in The Bahamas!

I recently had the pleasure of taking a short flight to Nassau to participate in the 2011 Marathon Bahamas.

More than 100 runners took to the streets of Nassau for the full marathon including several Canadians. There’s nothing quite like running across the bridge to Paradise Island and watching the sun come up over the gin clear waters and white sand beaches that line the coast.

I met some amazing people and made friends along my 26.2-mile (42.2 kilometres) journey to the finish line at Arawak Cay. It was a hard road, but I ran a personal best of 4:30:44 – not quite Boston Marathon worthy, but I was happy just the same. German Simone Maissenbacher took home first place with an amazing time of 03:02:39.

I was also lucky enough to be able to participate in the Susan G. Komen For The Cure 5 -kilometre race the day before the full marathon, which happened to be my birthday. I can’t think of a better place to spend it in!

It was a very well organized event and it could not have been done without the help of local policemen and women, water station volunteers and those spirit-lifting cheering sections along the way.

It was an amazing weekend and I hope to be able to do it again next year!


By Katherine Griggs

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on running your personal best, sounds like a great run. The scenery around the run must have been amazing- a good way to preoccupy yourself for the four hour run. I plan on training for a half marathon this summer; I'd love to build myself up for a full marathon in the Bahamas next year!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Now